Access our holdings

Apply for reader's ticket

You have to apply for a reader's ticket at the PRO reference services counter in person and register for a user account onsite before borrowing any items.

Request our holdings

You may search and request access to holdings on your own user account at the PRO catalogue station onsite. All archival holdings, and library materials, are held in closed stack for onsite inspection only.

Reserve our holdings

You may reserve up to 10 items of archival records (in file or item level) and library materials which are open for public inspection. To reserve our holdings, submit reservation form (PDF) by email (, fax (852) 2804 6413 or in person. Reserved items would be kept at the PRO reference services counter for up to 10 working days starting from the date of request.

Access to archival records

Access to archival records kept by GRS is managed through the Public Records (Access) Rules 1996. In general, members of the public are allowed access to archival records which have been in existence for not less than 30 years or the contents of which have at any time been published or wholly disclosed to the public.

Access to closed records

Access to closed records (e.g. records under 30 years) requires prior application in writing to the Government Records Service (GRS) Director. Applicant may submit application form (PDF) by email (, fax (852) 2804 6413, post or in person :

Public Records Office
Government Records Service
3/F, Hong Kong Public Records Building,
13 Tsui Ping Road,
Kwun Tong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong

The originating/transferring agency of the closed records will be consulted in the consideration of permitting record access. If the requested records are deemed unsuitable for public access, the originating/transferring agency is required to provide reasons with reference to Part 2 of the Code on Access to Information. GRS Director may permit any person to inspect closed records which are held in GRS unless any such records contain information for the time being the disclosure of which would not be in the public interest.

Appeals/Complaints – access to closed records

If you are not satisfied with the decision on your application for access to closed records, you may write to the Director of Administration asking for an appeal against the decision by providing supporting information and arguments. The contact information is as follows :

Director of Administration
Administration Wing
25/F, Central Government Offices,
2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar,
Hong Kong

Email :
Fax : (852) 2877 0802

If you are concerned about any maladministration in the handling of your application, you may lodge a complaint with The Ombudsman. The contact information is as follows :

The Ombudsman
30/F, China Merchants Tower,
Shun Tak Centre, 168-200 Connaught Road Central,
Hong Kong

Email :
Telephone : (852) 2629 0555
Fax : (852) 2882 8149

Search Room

Our Search Room is designed to provide a suitable environment for users to view our holdings. Users are required to observe the Search Room rules to help us protect our holdings.


Seating capacity30
Personal computer (PC) with catalogue7
Personal computer (PC) with internet access1
Personal computer (PC) for viewing digital records2
Photocopying machine1
Audio-visual player2
Microfilm reader5
Microfilm and digital records hard copy printer2
Free WiFi connection